Did you know?
- The average weight of a hummingbird is less than a nickel.
- They are the only birds that can fly backwards and hover due to their wing movement in a figure-eight pattern.
- Hummingbirds beat their wings more than 50 times per second and take about 150 breaths per minute when resting.
- While they have no sense of smell, they have good color vision and are attracted to reds and oranges. However, red dye should NOT be used in feeders as it can harm the birds.
- Hummingbirds drink the nectar from feeders by moving their tongues in and out about 13 times per second and can consume up to twice their body weight in a day.
- A hummingbird flock can be called a bouquet, a glittering, a shimmer, or a tune.